- Real-time and high-throughput analysis
- High sensitivity and wide linearity range
- Intuitive software with built-in alarm function for compounds above safe exposure limits
- Robust instrumentation designed for both laboratory and on-site use
- Comprehensive analysis, including inorganics and chromatographically challenging compounds
Occupational Health and Safety Introduction
Many volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and semi-VOCs (SVOCs) pose risks to human health and the general well-being of modern society. Some have severe, acute toxicity, such as the chemical warfare agents and fumigants. Others have more chronic health effects and are carcinogenic, such as benzene and formaldehyde. Certain VOCs and SVOCs also act as useful marker or taggant compounds for drugs and explosives.
SIFT-MS is the first technology that can – in one simple analysis – rapidly quantify these diverse toxins and marker VOCs, at the required concentrations, and with wide linear and dynamic ranges. Syft Technologies’ SIFT-MS instruments also deliver benefits in ease of integration, remote operation, and long-term stability. This page outlines several Syft Technologies’ solutions that provide protection for employees and the general public.
- Chemically diverse volatiles are released when handling materials such as sealants, carpet, paints, and adhesives (e.g., the toxins formaldehyde and benzene), so comprehensive analysis can be challenging
- Toxic small aldehydes – such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde – are frequently emitted, but analysis is difficult and time-consuming using traditional techniques such as GC-MS
- Conventional test methods cannot monitor time-evolution of volatile concentrations
- Slow analysis times greatly hinder implementation of appropriate health and safety measures when testing for these harmful emissions
How Syft can help
- Sensitive, quantitative analysis of all target compounds (including formaldehyde) with one instrument, delivers greater efficiency
- Quickly determine whether a site or building is a safe working environment
- Simple, continuous monitoring of extremely hazardous substances
- Easily customized analysis for each monitoring location
FUMIGANTS AND TOXIC INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS
Frontline workers in the shipping and border security industries face constant danger from exposure to undocumented, incorrectly packaged or applied toxic compounds, such as fumigants and toxic industrial chemicals (TICs). In some cases, fatal exposures have occurred. Benefits of SIFT-MS analysis for fumigants and TICs include:
- Simplicity of operation and reporting – no scientific training is required
- Rapid, laboratory-grade analysis on site, allowing decisions to be made instantly
- Analysis of chemically diverse compounds in a single scan
- Sampling and analysis protocols easily configured to meet customer needs.
Syft provides industry-proven solutions for detecting and quantifying a broad range of fumigants unnecessarily disrupting freight and TICs, without movements through facilities. With an ability to identify compounds well below risk levels for long-term exposure, SIFT-MS successfully protects workers in the logistics industry.
BORDER SECURITY AND CUSTOMS
SIFT-MS offers significant advantages over the ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) technique currently used as a front-line screening tool for drugs and explosives. Like IMS, the SIFT-MS technique is robust, easy to use, highly sensitive, and analytical results are obtained very rapidly. However, SIFT-MS provides higher selectivity through use of multiple rapidly switchable reagent ions coupled with mass spectrometric detection. This greatly reduces the incidence of false positives compared to IMS.
SIFT-MS detects a wide range of drugs, drug precursors, explosives, and taggant compounds down to part-per-trillion (ppt) levels. Application options include traditional gas analysis and swab-based analysis.
CHEMICAL WARFARE AGENT (CWA) DETECTION
SIFT-MS is the ideal tool for detection of Chemical Warfare Agent CWA threats and other extremely toxic volatile chemicals. Unique characteristics of SIFT-MS analysis include:
- Ultra-fast detection and response due to high-sensitivity, real-time analysis
- Elimination of false positives due to high selectivity (instantaneously switchable reagent ions and MS detection)
- Simple operation and reporting from a robust, laboratory-grade analytical instrument
- Proven easy integration with existing infrastructure.
SIFT-MS provides instantaneous detection of chemical warfare agents CWAs and highly toxic chemicals in a variety of applications, such as:
- Protection of core infrastructure buildings
- Continuous monitoring of high- volume air conditioning systems
- First-responder analytical support
INDOOR AIR QUALITY
Improved indoor air quality (IAQ) helps to maintain and promote good health. However, many VOCs that have significant negative impacts on health or comfort occur at ppbv and pptv concentrations. Low-cost technologies lack the sensitivity and selectivity required to provide meaningful results. With its very high sensitivity and selectivity, SIFT-MS is the ideal tool for diverse IAQ applications.
SIFT-MS platform capable of continuous and high-throughput gas and headspace analysis for VOCs and inorganic gases.
Auto-validation inlet allows switching between sample, calibration standard, and background gas streams.
Multi-port inlet enables multiple sample streams to be analyzed (e.g. from multiple points in facility).
Gerstel MPS autosampler
Multi-purpose sampler available with wide range of accessories to meet diverse automated analysis needs.
Software package for viewing and analyzing SIFT-MS data from multiple instruments, customizing analyses, and interacting with the Voice200ultra.
Access detection and quantitation parameters for over 1000 compounds to leverage the diverse capability of the platform.