- Direct analysis of auto exhaust (no drying required)
- Real-time quantitative analysis of diverse compounds, including formaldehyde
- Wide linear and dynamic ranges
- Robust and reliable instrumentation
- No need for skilled operators
- Pass/fail answers for process monitoring applications
VEHICLE EMISSIONS APPLICATIONS
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and inorganic gases are emitted from diverse automotive components, assembled motor vehicle cabins, and as combustion by-products from motor vehicles. Some emissions are highly toxic (including the carcinogens benzene and formaldehyde), some have nuisance value (e.g. causing sensitization), but most are contributors to smog. Recognizing the public health and environmental issues, regulatory bodies and industry increasingly seek to reduce public and environmental exposure to these emissions. Historically, however, no technology has been able to provide simple, rapid, and comprehensive analysis for these diverse chemicals.
SIFT-MS addresses the shortcomings of traditional analytical techniques with a unique combination of benefits that enable it to quantify diverse gases in real time with very high selectivity over wide linear and dynamic ranges,while providing long-term stability, ease of use and ease of integration. SIFT-MS represents a breakthrough in the detection, quantification, and tracing of gaseous emissions for the automotive industry. This page outlines several SIFT-MS-based vehicles and component testing solutions provided by Syft Technologies.
Automobile Industry Challenges
- The composition of automobile exhaust is dynamic – to understand it, measurements need to be made in real time
- Exhaust is complex – requiring not only fast, but also selective analysis
- Small aldehydes (formaldehyde and acetaldehyde) are very important, reactive components of exhaust yet are difficult for conventional direct gas analysis methods to quantify
How Syft can help
- Real-time feedback on the combustion process through continuous, selective, and comprehensive analysis
- Simple, direct analysis of challenging compounds, such as formaldehyde and acetaldehyde
- Selected Ion Flow Tube Mass Spectrometry – SIFT-MS analysis is robust to humidity
- Very low maintenance instrumentation due to direct, chromatography-free, low-energy SIFT-MS analysis
ENGINE EXHAUST ANALYSIS AND CATALYST R&D
Despite improvements in fuel quality (including changes to additives), internal combustion engines, and catalytic converters, emissions of VOCs and inorganic gases from motor vehicles remain a significant source of pollution in urban areas due to their numbers. SIFT-MS provides unique opportunities to study and reduce motor vehicle emissions, because it can:
- Analyze individual VOCs and most inorganic gases (such as NOx and SOx) in real-time, even at high humidity, providing a more comprehensive picture of emissions.
- Monitor transient effects such as a sudden burst in emissions on acceleration, which conventional techniques completely miss.
These capabilities enable deeper insights to be obtained compared to results from conventional analytical methods. Rapid analysis provided by SIFT-MS also enables faster feedback of the findings into R&D and production decisions.
RAW MATERIAL AND COMPONENT EMISSIONS
Increased regulation of emissions in motor vehicle passenger cabins has led to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) imposing emission standards on raw material and component suppliers to prevent inclusion of sub-standard products in finished vehicles. Analogous to the VIAQ application, conventional analytical technologies for testing components are expensive, complex, and slow.
The comprehensive analysis provided by SIFT-MS – coupled with its high throughput and very low cost of ownership – provides an ideal tool for certifying conformance of every batch of product across diverse compound classes, including aldehydes, phthalates, aromatics, chlorinated organics, and organotin compounds.
Both the OEM and supplier benefit from the rapid turnaround since batches with higher emissions can be identified before shipping, eliminating costly rejections by the OEM. Wide-scale product screening also enables the supplier to identify product issues earlier, optimizing production processes and reducing product losses or re-work.
BATTERY AND FUEL CELL APPLICATIONS
The comprehensive, simple gas analysis capabilities of SIFT-MS make it ideally suited to detection of gases used in batteries, or that are produced when batteries fail or are abused:
- Acid gases, such as hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, nitric acid, and sulfur dioxide
- Organic electrolytes used in lithium-ion batteries, including dimethyl carbonate and diethyl carbonate.
SIFT-MS is also ideally suited to both fuel cell research and ongoing quality assurance of fuels. R&D applications include evaluation of fuel cell conversion efficiencies and evaluation of the effects of reactive impurities on the fuel cell catalyst (for example, ammonia and hydrogen sulfide). SIFT-MS also provides an economic solution for ongoing quality assurance of fuel gas supplies to ensure that they do not contain compounds
at concentrations that will poison commercially deployed fuel cells.
VEHICLE INTERIOR AIR QUALITY (VIAQ) ANALYSIS
SIFT-MS analyzes all aldehydes and other VOCs in one rapid, simple front-line test, making wide-scale screening economic. Instant feedback on the acceptability of every vehicle coming off the production line is a reality! This ensures that any deviations from the standard production specification can be identified immediately, allowing corrective actions to be taken.
Self-contained SIFT-MS platform capable of rapid, continuous analysis of VOCs and inorganic gases.
Auto-validation inlet allows switching between sample, calibration standard, and background gas streams.
MODBUS / VRC
Remote operation of the Voice200ultra is supported via industry-standard MODBUS or proprietary Voice Remote Control protocols.
Software package for viewing and analyzing SIFT-MS data from multiple instruments, or customizing analyses.
Vehicle Emissions Resources
|Automotive Industry Solutions Brochure|
|Analysis of Automobile Exhaust Emissions|
Vehicle Emissions Webinars
|Enhanced Tailpipe, Material Emission, and Leak Analysis|