Over the past two weeks, we have highlighted the unique benefit of the eight Selected Ion Flow Tube Mass Spectrometry (SIFT-MS) reagent ions (H3O+, NO+, O2+, O–, O2–, OH–, NO2–, and NO3–) for:
- Rapid, comprehensive gas analysis
- Unsurpassed real-time selectivity.
This week, we conclude the series by considering the simplicity with which these reagent ions are created. Again, SIFT-MS provides unique benefits:
- The eight SIFT-MS reagent ions are all generated from air and water. The SIFT-MS ion source requires no pressurized gas cylinders and no hazardous substances, such as xenon, krypton, and mercury. Not only is this safer, but it also yields massive cost savings at installation and for consumables.
- Microwave ionization is used, not a radioactive ion source. The SIFT-MS ion source is much safer, plus it makes moving Syft instruments across international borders so much simpler.
- A quadrupole mass filter is used to mass-select the reagent ion, so switching is electrical and instantaneous. There is no slow mechanical switching of gas supplies, which inevitably leads to slow switching and carryover effects.
- The entire SIFT-MS ion source is very clean. By using microwave ionization, plus air and water as source gases, SIFT-MS instruments require vastly less ion source maintenance than any other mass spectrometers.
Safe. Simple. SIFT-MS.