Conventional laboratory volatile compound analysis typically utilizes chromatography-based techniques, which are slow and frequently require extensive sample preparation. By utilizing soft chemical ionization, Selected Ion Flow Tube Mass Spectrometry (SIFT-MS) provides direct, rapid sample analysis with no or minimal sample prep required. When coupled with autosampler technology, SIFT-MS yields very high sample throughputs (in excess of 100 samples per hour), including for challenging compounds like ammonia, formaldehyde, and hydrogen sulfide.
Very high-throughput headspace and gas analysis provides new opportunities for both contract and R&D laboratories serving a range of industries, from environmental analysis to food testing to pharma. Applications include:
- Simple, automated aldehyde analysis in air and headspace
- Residual solvent analysis in packaging and pharmaceuticals
- Residual monomer
Participants Will Learn:
- The fundamentals of the selected ion flow tube mass spectrometry (SIFT-MS) technique, including its ability to selectively and comprehensively analyze samples in one, simple procedure.
- How automating SIFT-MS analysis can revolutionize analysis of organic and inorganic volatiles, delivering competitive advantage through time and cost savings.
- How automated SIFT-MS turns headspace techniques that are cumbersome with chromatography (e.g., multiple headspace extraction) into practical, economical methodologies.